View Single Post
Old 07-01-2011, 10:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
It's not the engine's response I am worried about. It's the ability to drive smoothly. I cannot, and neither can my wife, get this car to pull away from either a dead stop or a slight rolling stop smoothly and with consistent speed, more than 20% of the time. You have three options normally for takeoff in this car: you have to feather the throttle and creep away like a cat burglar; tromp on it and leave like Don Garlits; or use normal throttle input, have nothing happen for 2 seconds, and then feel like a garbage truck just rear ended you. Every once in a while, or immediately after the throttle reprogramming trick, it's possible to pull away smoothly. If this car was being used for a limo service, the driver would have no repeat customers. If your kids take their driver's exam in this car, they'll fail. It really is that bad.
It's the response to throttle input and the result is like a low TQ engine. Nothing and then a lot. It's not the engine as you say, it's the tranny. The difference is that the 535i is fully capable of providing instant smooth take offs when a little NA four banger is not but I think some of the disinterrest in addressing it could come from a culture that is not expecting the american style of automatic cars so noone over there really complains.