View Single Post
Old 07-03-2011, 01:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
Timing chain tensioner replace for i6 (DIY)

So, after 8 years and reading some pretty nasty stories about the cousin v8 chain tensioner and related guide rails, I decided to change the spring of the chain tensioner.

You need the coil spring p/n 11411706809 and the aluminum crush washer p/n 07119963418 (gasket ring).

The procedure is trivial at best. I did it while doing the oil change. The Chain tensioner is located on the passenger side, in front of the engine behind the air check valve:

Stuff some paper towel and rags - there are electrical wires underneath, and oil will come out:

You need a 32mm socket or a 1 1/4" socket. They will both fit. The tensioner is at an angle, and you might not be able to remove it with a straight extension (a wrench "might" work, but bear in mind you deal with aluminum here), so here is what I used:

Out it comes:

The gasket might get stuck on the engine. Make sure you don't leave it there.

Here is a side-by-side of the old vs the new spring. You can see the old one is slightly compressed:

Buttoned everything up, and tightened it with 25 Nm. EDIT: for M54 engines, tightening torque is 70 Nm (as per TIS)
After starting the car, the assembly will need to be filled with engine oil. I was actually amazed how quiet the car is now. As mentioned, I had no codes and no driveability issues, but the car sure sounds like new now!!!
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby

Last edited by doru; 07-04-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Ads by Google