View Single Post
Old 07-03-2011, 10:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloan165 View Post
all but 3 of the 71 workers will be fired. Something which would never occur if the shop resided in Germany.
German labor is not competitive. VW cannot compete in the US and now has to resort to making cars in Mexico and the US for the American market. BMW, Mercedes, and Audi are only competitive since there is a domestic market for lots of fast and capable cars so that they sell some of those cars at a high price overseas.

Airlines used to do a lot, from aircraft cleaning to hotels. Later, they concentrated on their core business, what they knew what to do. Hotel, they spun off or sold. Some smaller business functions, they outsourced. BMW NA is doing this. They see that outside companies can do a better and more efficient job than they can.

Ultimately, a leaner and competitive BMW helps consumers. BMW cannot survive by simply saying "we have the best cars so we can overlook costs and then charge $50,000 for a 328i".

Of course, long time workers who counted on lifetime employment are in for a shock and probably a worse lifestyle.

It is too bad that all Americans are not so skilled, smart, and in demand that they would do the highest paying jobs and companies would have to import Mexicans to do unskilled work and work that needs less education (like the BMW parts depot).

It is also too bad that all but 3 of the 71 workers have potential problems ahead of them. Many of them have spent a lot and not had a nest egg. I hope that after 20 years of work, I will have a decent amount saved for retirement and also enough to last 3-5 years of unemployment followed by finding a lower paying job. That requires a lot of financial discipline.

Last edited by BMW220i; 07-03-2011 at 10:21 PM.