View Single Post
Old 07-04-2011, 11:45 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by videofrank View Post
...My question is, can I use this regularly? How do I connect it? Directly to the battery? Also in the winter I was planning on putting a car cover and just attaching the charger. Again I don't have a garage, but I do have an outlet next to the driveway. Is this ok to do?
Thanks
You have two choices with CTEK.
1) Attach the standard alligator clips then charge under the hood. The charger is small enough that you can place it in a low spot then close the hood on it. The good thing about this method is the charge is registered by the IBS (Intelligent Battery Sensor) which should improve the life of the battery.
2) Attach the permanent cable to the battery in the trunk. You can close the trunk lid on the extension cord this way too. The charger will be less exposed to the elements in the trunk.

The charger can survive the cold no problem under the hood or in the trunk. If you are using a car cover I would leave the charger connected and plug in the extension cord once a month or maybe once every two weeks to be safe and let it run all weekend. The TIS says the car can go 6 weeks between charges if the car is sitting in a showroom for example but I think that is pushing it with the car sitting in freezing conditions and a battery that is not new.

Check out the pics at the bottom of this thread for connecting to the battery.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Last edited by Yorgi; 07-05-2011 at 09:44 PM. Reason: missing word!