View Single Post
Old 07-04-2011, 04:54 PM
Fight On!

Mein Auto: BMW M3, Z4 M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S. View Post
The key data points will be how will this change affect the performance/delivery of said parts to the technicians in the service centers? BMW parts distribution was very German prior to this. By that I mean like a Swiss train, you could set your clock by parts deliveries. If that does not continue, dealers and hence consumers will pay the ultimate price -- extended stays in the service bays due to slower order fulfillment. The likelihood of the incorrect part being shipped from the distribution center will probably go up as well.
I am not sure if I agree the service level will drop drastically enough that we'll notice the change.

I don't believe the wages paid to the union workers is a good gauge of their productivity or quality of work. For example, Amazon's non-union workers, who get paid much less, have never shipped me the wrong item out of the hundreds of million items in their inventory or late.

Again, I am very sorry for those who are losing their jobs and their families, but BMW has chosen a more economical (and maybe a more efficient) path. We probably have the Sacramento bureaucrats to thank for creating such an anti-business environment in California. Case in point: Toyota's Fremont plant left California in 2010. This is a trend we are seeing in California, and I doubt it will stop unless we fix the fundamental problem instead of demonizing the companies that are leaving.

BMW CCA Member #xx4477
2006 Z4 M Coupe (e86) 6MT
2013 M3 Coupe (e92) 6MT