View Single Post
Old 07-04-2011, 04:07 PM
Rocket Scientist

Mein Auto: 2010 M3 and 2011 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S. View Post
The key data points will be how will this change affect the performance/delivery of said parts to the technicians in the service centers? BMW parts distribution was very German prior to this. By that I mean like a Swiss train, you could set your clock by parts deliveries. If that does not continue, dealers and hence consumers will pay the ultimate price -- extended stays in the service bays due to slower order fulfillment. The likelihood of the incorrect part being shipped from the distribution center will probably go up as well.
I would say the parts delivery portion of the service process is already broken and may have been for some time.

My 135i just spent 2 months idle in the service bay for nothing other then a front brake caliper. Now I'll grant that brake calipers are rarely replaced and so stock would be few or one. However there were none in NA and none in Germany. For 7 weeks. It's my and the dealership's understanding that BMW finally sent someone to Leipzig to pull one off the assembly line. That is a broken process if there's ever been one.

Having said that the performance on 99.9% of the parts distributed through the system will likely remain unaffected by this action and admittedly in my case the employer affiliation of the workers had no bearing on my situation.