View Single Post
Old 07-05-2011, 08:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by guaping View Post
Thanks Doru for posting. I was going to do it this weekend but got tied up with other stuff. I read that it is probably better to "soak" the cylinder in oil first before putting it back in. Did you find this to be the case?

Bluebee, it is the morning rattle one hears on cold start, lasts only few seconds.
Bingo - I couldn't better say it myself.

I did not soak the cylinder. I read about this, but then, when I looked at it it was obvious to me it will make a mess. The cylinder has flow holes on both sides (top & bottom), meaning that if you try to fill it up with oil, it will flow out imediately. Also, the assembly is tilted downwards which will spill all the oil out, where you don't want (where I placed the rags). When I started the car I was prepared to hear the noise I was reading about if the tensioner is not filled with oil. Surprise. There was no noise. At all.
After I started the car, I let it idle for a few seconds, then I revved the engine a couple times to about 2k rpm's. That's all. That nasty startup noise is gone.
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby