Mein Auto: '91 535i 5-spd
You're welcome guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydog
Where did you find the parts?
Pelican Parts.com
Quote:
did the thrust arms come with the m5 bushings pre pressed into the part.
These ones shipped with no bushing installed and I had to press them in. It worked well for my situation because I got to choose what bushing I wanted. I put them in using a hydraulic press at the machine shop. Hardest part was getting those little arrows on the arms and bushings to line up correctly on the first try.
Quote:
Are all the parts the same make.
They are now. The whole front end (as pictured) is completely Lemforder with the exception of the sway bar bushings, which are new factory BMW parts. Steering and braking response now border on telepathic. I can't imagine how much more accurate spherical joints must be from this. I'd have liked to gone with Racing Dynamics sway bar bushings because I like their design (similar to factory Honda and GM), but in order to do so I'd have to buy their bar too, which is way over-priced IMHO.
Quote:
Were forks and pullers used ,or did the anti seize compond eliminate the need for them.
I was using a ball joint separator at 1:31 in the video. I don't do pickle forks. I also had a pry bar on standby, but I only use that strategically as its really easy to bend sheet metal with that thing. Only one control arm needed a little encouragement, the rest dropped out by hand.

The anti seize did make it ridiculously easy to remove the other 3 ball joints, but it's not supposed to be there. It becomes very easy to lose all confidence in previous maintenance when you start finding things like that. The studs and lock nuts should by dry for very good reasons. Not cool.

Quote:
Nice Jack by the way. I think ill start with upgrading my floor jack and continue from there.
It's an AFF (American Forge and Foundry) 200T. Solid epoxy covered steel tip to toe, and worth every penny. Hardest part about buying it was coming to terms with shipping, as the thing is roughly 100 lbs. When I first got it, I disassembled as many of the moving parts as I dared [wheels, handle, lifting block] and lubricated everything real well with Moly grease. The roller parts that were pinned or staked got shot with lots of penetrating chain lube. Doing that made a tremendous difference in how smooth it rolled and operated, naturally.

We can start another thread for tool talk.