View Single Post
Old 07-17-2011, 06:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
I agree with markl53's comments about nitpicking. Cars are complex machines that integrate many systems and subsystems, and the F10 is more complex than most, being on the cutting edge of technological applications, so minor issues are to be expected. Can anyone name a car that is "perfect", that is free of even minor issues? Not so for cars at any price, now or in the history of the automobile I bet.

While many complaints by customers (and posters) are legitimate, I find that many other issues that we complain about are just a matter of us, the drivers, learning to properly use and adapt to the characteristics of the car we drive. An example: while my 550i has had no major hesitation issues when accelerating, it was a little hesitant at first. Now, after the car has "learned" to respond to my driving style, which by the way is not consistent as I sometimes drive rather aggressively and sometimes rather gently, I have also learned to apply proper pressure to the throttle and make use of the paddles and of the comfort-to-sport button to avoid hesitation under any driving situation. I have also learned to feel where the turbos kick in, so that I can accelerate hard linearly but very fast.

I find that driving the F10 is a very involving experience, where I make use of the adaptability the car offers to driving conditions and styles. I change suspension settings when going from a smooth road surface to a rough one and back again when the road surface changes. I switch the auto-hold on and off several times during my commute as I feel more comfortable driving at that particular moment. I turn on the adaptive cruise on and off, again, just to suit my driving mood at the time. I change the settings on the equalizer to get the best sound from the type of music I am listening to at the moment, instead of permanently leaving a setting that is acceptable for all music. So yes, I am very involved with the car whenever I drive it, and I love it. The car, in turn, responds to my every whim. To conclude, such level of involvement with the car allows me to adapt to the vehicle characteristics of the vehicle and eliminate most of the minor annoyances that people complain about, while raising my level of enjoyment tenfold.
ED on Sep. 28, 2010: 550i Dark Graphite Metallic, Oyster/Black Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Convenience Package, Driver Assistance Package, Premium Package 1 (Std.) & 2, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Dynamic Handling Package, Active Cruise Control, Head-Up Display, Side and Top View Cameras, 4-Zone Automatic Climate Control.

Retired: 2008 528i Space Gray.