View Single Post
Old 07-29-2011, 06:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 740iL
I used close to 8 quarts of Valvoline MaxLife ATF after dropping the pan and changing the filter, but any ESSO 71141 compatible fluid should work.

As far as refilling, after putting the pan back on the transmission, you have to refill through the fill hole on the pan untill fluid starts coming out. Then you start the car, shift through the gears, and refill again. There was a sticker on my oil pan that stated a certain temperature range that the transmission fluid had to be in while filling, and if you went past a certain temperature, the transmission wouldn't have enough fluid.

I don't remember the temperature range. I think is was somewhere between 50 celsius and 70 celsius, but if I were you, I would check on the oil pan and see if your's has a sticker as well, and if not, I would find out exactly what temperature range it needed to be in. I used a scanner connected to the car that told me the exact temperature of the tranny fluid, so it wasn't that big of a deal for me, but without that scanner, I wouldn't know if I had too much or too little fluid in the tranny when I was done filling since transmission fluid expands with heat.

I would have appreciated it if BMW just installed a dipstick in the transmission from the factory (like Mercedes did with their sealed transmissions), lifetime fluid or not. You shouldn't need expensive electrical equipment to find out if your transmission fluid is low, but it is something you have to deal with to own this car.

Last edited by balance; 07-29-2011 at 06:50 AM.