View Single Post
Old 08-04-2011, 06:09 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 07 BMW 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgerrard View Post
This has also happened to my 56-plate (UK) E90 320d. I have a red light that is always on and never goes away. However I can lock the steering when parked and it's always released when I stick the smart key in.

So my car has an AA 5-star warranty but it turns out that it covers pretty much every part of the steering apart from the steering column. Brilliant. Therefore the UK dealership (Sytner Solihull) I took it to diagnose the fault (It came back with A116), wants 693 to replace it and re-program the car.

I'm shopping around for someone who'll do that a bit cheaper as Sytner seem incredibly overpriced (and not very helpful either). I was very tempted to just put up with it as it doesn't appear to have any undesirable effect so far - but it's potentially a safety issue so need to get it sorted really.
I don't think there's any safety issue with a red lock on steering wheel error - as your BMW steering wheel can never lock when you are driving it - this will be against the logics of safety driving & any system shouldn't be able to override such a setting.

But I agree to have a peace of Mind - customers are taking a minimum of 1200$ slap here in US and BMW is just sleeping about it - what d heck - m way beyond frustrated with this crappy known and widely present issue that nobody seems to care and deal about (the corporate - good will way)
Worst case scenario: car cannot start and you have to get it towed off.