View Single Post
Old 08-04-2011, 10:09 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by swajames View Post
You have that right. In fairness, I doubt these two cars really get cross shopped all that often. I think the 550 is a fantastic car and a tremendous value, but for me the Porsche delivers more (as it should, given the higher cost). Others may disagree, we all vote with our wallets. Porsche is really aiming the Panamera at buyers in the 7 Series and above segment, probably not so much the 5. That the higher end Fives and the lower to mid range Panameras share some price similarity probably isn't by design on the part of either manufacturer.

As for the pretty clear comment, take a look at the cornering speeds and braking numbers. The Panamera corners harder, brakes harder and it can can do so repeatedly as the brakes won't fade. The notion of a car being fast when it can essentially only do it in a straight line doesn't really cut it any more.
You're right. The 4S vs 550 comparison is rarely made given the 20k price difference.

I think most people cross shop based on price, so the 550xi if anything might get cross shopped with the V6 Panamera. That choice would be a stark one of performance vs. prestige.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels