View Single Post
Old 08-08-2011, 06:38 AM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...a_s/index.html

Congrats on your choice - there are no losers - the choice really comes down to where you place your priorities. I seriously considered purchasing a Panamera before I bought my 550i GT - BMW luxury 5 door v. Porsche luxury 5 door. I have always had an emotional tie to Porsche, having driven a 911 Turbo for many years - I was predisposed to choose the Porsche. That being said I surprised myself when I pulled the BMW GT trigger. Last month I recently revisited my decision and took another serious look at the Panamera and came to the same conclusion. My comment below remains true today as when originally posted. I think I might come to an similar conclusion if I were comparing Porsche to traditional BMW sedans especially the 750i.

I did not see the comparison test from Automobile Magazine before purchasing. Frankly, I was surprised by their conclusions. I thought both cars were engaging dynamically and aesthetically. Both the Porsche and BMW possess serious road presence, but the Porsche is more flamboyant. IMO the GT showcases BMW design language in a manner that is fresher and more original than the Porsche, which I considered derivative. The Porsche in any configuration places more emphasis on being a sports car and the BMW has more the feel of a seven series gran turismo. What I gave up dynamically, I made up in comfort, capacity, and long distance touring capability. Moreover, although these were all contributing elements, the BMW 550i's 400 hp 450 lbs-ft of torque when combined with a sport pack and 20-inch wheels mitigated the Porsche's sporting advantage. The Porsche is the better handling car in absolute terms but the BMW is a very engaging car to drive. Independent of cost, I concluded, as Automobile Mag concluded, that the BMW was the better overall choice. Considering cost further reaffirmed the conclusion - the Panamera V6 is about $82K to $90K and the Panamera S with options is over $100K.

Last edited by Capobranco; 08-08-2011 at 09:14 AM.