View Single Post
Old 01-06-2004, 06:06 PM
King of Rear Clunks

Mein Auto: 01 325iT, 88 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbert
How disappointing.
  • For $50 bucks more you can get a slightly larger "classic" iPod that holds almost 4 times as much.
  • At $50 less, the mini would have been much more competitive with other players, like the Rio that Jobs was comparing to the mini at MacWorld.
  • The current price level could mean the mini would cannibalize sales from other iPods, rather than gaining market share.
I was having this conversation with a coworker. I think it WILL eat into 15Gb iPod sales, but looking at the two side-by-side, especially in person where the size difference will be MUCH more apparent, with the colored metal cases (never liked the all-snow look) and the, IMO, better controls (closer to the original iPod) it's not a bad move at all. Unless you're the type to keep your entire MP3 collection on the iPod or use it as a portable HD, the 4Gb limit isn't a huge deal. And if Apple is smart, they would leave the option (hack) open to swap out the 4Gb MicroDrive with a larger one in the future. I agree, $199 would be the Magic Number for this device, and I'm willing to bet that it will happen sooner rather than later.