View Single Post
Old 08-17-2011, 08:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 X5 3.0
OK, been a while since I posted on this. Pulled the aftermarket and found the BMW connections intact, they used pigtail connectors, that was good. The electronics in the back by the spare looked like they hadnt been touched. Got specifics on the car from the BMW dealer, and got part numbers from realoem.com. Bought a rebuilt MID, and a CD-Radio unit off ebay. Finally received them today, and I was pretty excited. It took about 1/2 hour to get it all installed, it looks great, and the radio and CD player work fine. Butttt......... Found out the steering wheel controls did not work, telephone doesnt work, and the computer did not work. The aftermarket radio did work with the steering wheel controls, so I looked at that first. About 2 hours of surfing the web, and disassembling the stuff under the steering wheel, I found the ONE wire that had been cut and jacked into, repaired it (didnt even find or remove the actual unit that it drove), and voila, steering wheel controls work. I still need to find out why the computer does not work, not sure if I care about the telephone thing, but maybe if BMW had a bluetooth retrofit... Plus, what is the R/T button supposed to do?

Any help on what they might have done with the computer and telephone would be helpful.

Michael