View Single Post
Old 08-22-2011, 03:45 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerJay View Post
That's what I was afraid of. I am yet to hear the sound system but I agree, it's absurd to pay that money and to get a sub-par audio system.

I have no experience with after-market systems, nor do I know how to install. Would it be more beneficial to install the BSW package or upgrade the amp and keep speakers as mentioned above?

Or any other idea for that matter? Really not wanting to spend more than $900 or so (what BMW charges)
GJ,

If you are unhappy with sound system your best bet is to replace the speakers first. BMW uses the worst materials to build their speakers in the X3. They are still using paper cones and plastic parts. As opposed to dense fiber woven, polypropelene, shoot some even use kevlar.

That would be like using drum brakes in a car of today.

If you can install them yourself you can replace all 4 door speakers for under $200. Installation by a shop shouldn't run you more than $50 a set. So about $100 for all.

Replacing speakers for sound would be the equivalent of changing tires for handling. Easy job, but most will notice a world of difference right away.

Pm me if you need more info.

EE
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more