View Single Post
Old 08-29-2011, 10:16 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 550i 6 sp Manual+35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRBob View Post
On the bright side, things aren't too bad if worn button markings make the complaint list. I remember, not so long ago, when cars would be riddled with rust after a couple of years, paint oxidized, chrome peeled, dash and body rattles were common, brakes pulled, oil burned and god knows what else. We've come a long way.
The issue is not whether cars are better today than yesterday, the issue is why BMWs have shoddy quality when they cost so much. If the cheaper cars are more reliable and have comparable quality then why are we paying such premium prices to BMW? I never bought a BMW before because the interiors always looked cheap to me, the paint had tons of orange peel and overall they gave me a sense of an overpriced shoddy quality car. I bought mine with my eyes wide open but with great trepidation, thinking that I would have all kinds of problems with it - I was afraid to go on a long trip with it because I thought it would break down and leave me stranded. Why did I buy it then? There was nothing in the market that compared to it, and my 550i is exactly the car I was looking for - powerful, 6sp manual, with a ride like a limousine or a sports sedan at the touch of a button, etc., etc. - it's like BMW read my mind and hit me i.e., the target new buyer they were trying to attract with this car.

My car has a few things I dislike but so far it's been completely reliable and none of my fears have materialized. If I'd had the problems T.J.s has had or any of the major problems with the pulling to the right or the ARS valve, etc. I would have moved on to another brand by now.