View Single Post
Old 08-30-2011, 04:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
You were under the assumption the SA at the Minnesota dealer was correct the SES light was caused by mice, and as such the original dealer could not have known the issue existed.
Given what the OP had provided initially that would be correct.

Quote:
My point is, once all the documents are presented, it is very possible the SES light could have been caused by other issues than chewed-up wires.
I would agree, specifically the hose from the gas filler neck to the fuel pump module as described on page five:

"Smoke tested system, found a leak coming from the hose from the gas filler neck T the fuel pump module. There are damaged wires. Damage is from a rodent and is not covered by warranty."

The chewed up wires appear to be an observation discovered while troubleshooting the problem rather than the cause of the problem. I specifically asked the OP about this in post number 45.

Quote:
If it can be reasonably established that a lot of the things that were discovered and repaired could have triggered the SES light, would you still think the initial SA's statement was correct that the SES light was caused by mice chewing on the wires?
I'm not sure where you get "...a lot of the things that were discovered and repaired..." from. How I read post number 43 is BMW of Minnetonka went through a diagnosis process of testing and replacing various items in an effort to troubleshoot the problem. Replacement of various items does not mean the replaced parts were faulty but rather a means to eliminate them as the problem. It's a common troubleshooting technique and the fact they did not solve the problem implies they were not the problem.

With that said I'm not sure where you going with this. Can you shed some insight as to what you're thinking?