View Single Post
Old 08-31-2011, 08:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
I didn't say they were dishonest or clueless. But the issue was clearly complex enough to the point they thought they had found and fixed the problem at least twice, but was WRONG twice.
A common troubleshooting methodology is to substitute / replace parts suspected of causing a problem in an effort to eliminate them or fix the problem.

When I bought my current X5 the SEL was illuminated. Before purchasing I spoke with my indy about the possible causes for the code that was set. He said it could be spark plugs, coils, CPS, vacuum leak, and a couple of other things. He couldn't say exactly what the fix would be because there were a number of things which could cause the problem.

After giving him the OK he set off using a methodical approach of investigating each of these items in an effort to resolve the problem. First up was replacing the spark plugs. Didn't solve the problem. The next was swapping coils (code was an engine misfire on a couple of cylinders). That didn't work. The next step was to swap the CPS. That didn't work. Then he started looking for vacuum leaks.

And what did he find? The oil separator hoses had become mushy and split which exposed the system to the atmosphere. Now I could have said "No, don't replace them because the first three things you tried didn't work so I have no faith replacing these hoses will solve the problem". But I didn't I authorized him to replace the hoses and the problem was fixed.

My point? The procedure being used by the dealership is common and not a reflection of the competency of the service facility (assuming they're replacing parts related to the specific issue).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
Would you recommend the OP pay the $2K to have them redo the wiring, knowing yourself it might not fix the issue?
Yes. If the wiring is damaged it needs to be replaced regardless if it ultimately turns out to be the problem or not. Just like the oil separator hoses on my X5. Regardless if they were the problem or not they needed to be replaced.