View Single Post
Old 09-04-2011, 01:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
There is more to this recall than meets the eye. NHTSA's Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) began an investigation of the tail light issue in April of 2009. They elevated the investigation on 8/7/09 and again on 12/18/09. This is an indication to any manufacturer that the agency is not so subtly pushing for a "voluntary" recall. Nevertheless, BMW stubbornly refused. The correspondence between BMW and NHTSA is available for all to see; Google: NHTSA Defect Investigations. The final ODI investigation was EA09019.

In all my years of following NHTSA investigations and recalls, I have seldom seen a manufacturer fight so hard to resist the agency's desire to conduct a recall. One of the documents posted shows that there was a July, 2011 meeting with NHTSA and BMW representatives; no doubt heavy arm twisting on the part of NHTSA.

For those who had the tail light repaired at the dealer, the repair may have been very expensive if out of warranty. Under recall rules (statute), some repairs made prior to a recall may be covered for a certain time period, I'm not sure about DIY.

I had posted in this forum a long time ago for members to keep their receipts.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA