View Single Post
Old 09-04-2011, 12:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Unless there are any unusual aspects to this recall, I believe this will apply:
Note: The NHTSA/ODI Engineering Analysis was opened 12/18/2009.

If I Had a Defect Repaired at My Own Expense Before a Manufacturer's Recall, Am I Legally Entitled to Reimbursement from the Manufacturer?

Yes, under certain conditions. Manufacturers are required to provide reimbursement for certain owner's costs to remedy defect conditions prior to a recall. Manufacturers are required to reimburse owners for costs incurred to remedy a defect based on a start date of either NHTSA's opening date of an Engineering Analysis or one year prior to the manufacturer's notification of a defect to NHTSA, whichever is earlier. The closing date of eligibility for reimbursement of repair of a motor vehicle is 10 days after the manufacturer mails the last of the owner notices informing owners of a cost-free safety defect recall. For replacement equipment, the closing date is either the same as for motor vehicles or 30 days after the manufacturer's closing of its efforts to provide public notice of the existence of a defect, whichever is later. Documentation of the requested costs is required.

While this is a new requirement, manufacturers have in the past often voluntarily agreed to absorb such costs, and have provided refunds to consumers who had defects corrected prior to a recall, providing that consumers have been able to present documentation to prove that the earlier repairs remedied the defect in question.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA