View Single Post
Old 09-08-2011, 02:46 PM
MT = Doppler Shifting

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 (MT)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pburnett View Post
I see what you are saying. I figured that the gear had, say, 90 degrees of freedom in rotation (on/off on either side of the 90) for actuated/non-actuated. So the real question when the actuator is active, does it spin the black gear constantly or does it stop at some point? I have no idea. Really, it is because I don't know what or how the inside of the X3 transfer case works or looks like, but I am beginning to think you may be correct. Unfortunatly, I don't see a way to get to the black gear without doing some serious damage to the cover that I pulled off, so even if you had found a replacement, I don't think you can get to it to just replace it, but maybe with some luck you can.

Just for reference, I attached kind of what I was talking about in the picture. I'm just wondering if maybe the motor goes forward/reverse to turn on and off something with the transfer case. something like this would cause only this area to be used. Not the best solution for it, but likely cheap and easy to manufacture.
OK, I follow what you're saying now too.

Well, if the black gear only turns a quarter-turn or so at most, your idea could potentially work; how far the black gear rotates is going to depend on the reduction between it and the worm gear, and how much the black gear needs to turn in order to adjust the torque transfer between the axles...

X3 w/6-speed & Sport Package:
A sports sedan disguised as an SUV...