09-09-2011, 12:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Join Date: Nov 2010
Mein Auto: 2001 Audi A6
Father-Son 335d (Msport) Delivery - Sept 6-14, 2011: Pix…AND VIDEO!! (48-hour rule??)
Ok, sorry it's taken me so long to get this posted. Been having too much fun in the Alps with the 335d. I must say the diesel is an absolute BEAST in these mountain passes. We are having a blast and still getting 30mpgs!!
I really like the RWD bias of the 335d. It just seems at peace with the road and handles so nicely. My Dad has now added the word "epic" to his vocabulary (Ha!) and is starting to think about picking up his next car this way as well.
- 4 days driving through the Austrian, Swiss and Italian Alps; we hit 6 of the top 10 driving passes in Europe
- A 300 mile leisure drive from Zurich thru the Black Forest
- 3 Laps on the Nürburgring (aka "The Ring") then having dinner with Ron Howard (technically, he was eating at the table next to us); He was up at the Ring to start shooting his new film (a F1 movie called "Rush")
- Was at the Ring and witnessed the fastest track time (7:12) set by a Dodge Viper on Sept 12th
- Hung out on the pits of the Hockenheimring (another popular circuit in the Heidelberg area)
- Raced a bunch of Ferraris, Lambos and Aston's on the autobahn; you name the exotic car, and we likely played "cat and mouse" with them.
- Made a 150mph sprint back to Munich for our drop-off. The 335d was rock steady the entire time; felt like we were going 90. Seriously.....
Logged 1600 miles across 8.5 days and averaged 30mpg of full-on "lead-foot", "bat-out-of-hell" driving. The 335d is a beast. An economical, efficient and practical beast. I was lucky enough to snag one of the last production 335d's headed for the states. My D was dropped off in Munich on 9/14, hits the NJ port on 10/8 and should be back in my arms up in Boston on 10/19. A 4+ week turnaround; damn that's pretty fast!
Here is/was our route plan via GoogleMaps:
FYI - This video is blocked in Germany due to some of the audio/video that was used. I would've posted this earlier, but the final video was 220MB is size and took 2+ hours to load it into YouTube -- and the WiFi in our hotels wasn't as strong as I would've liked.
We had a two GoPro camera's mounted in/on the 335d throughout the trip. 250GB worth of footage that I'm still sifting through. Stay tuned for more videos on this trip......
Also, I'll include some additional details about the camera equipment and gear that we are using. In short, we have 3 GoPro HD's mounted in/on the car for this entire experience. And I am thoroughly impressed with the quality of the footage from the GoPro's AND the suction capabilities from the Gripper camera mount. FYI - Here's our two primary mounting tools for this trip:
Last edited by TeddyBGame; 10-25-2011 at 07:12 AM.