View Single Post
Old 09-09-2011, 06:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Recently I have been playing around with some diagnostic software. Below are two screen prints showing details about the battery installed in my 2008 (12/2007) 535i. Sorry about all info. being in German.
Besides total mileage of the car during past 5 days it seems to show total minutes during those 5 days in various temp. ranges in Celsius; if and when battery was replaced; level of charge in hours in various ranges since day one; SOH = state of health; SOC = state of charge; temp. for the season; level of charge for past 5 days per days, etc. etc.
The most important piece of info. is "Startfaehigkeit aktuell" which was the ability of the battery to start the car the last time in %. 100% = brand new battery and 10% = close to fail. Mine was at 29.69% and I will keep checking this, to see how it might deteriorate in the future.
There is more technical stuff there which, however, is over my head.
If a checkup at BMW (and I would not go antwhere else) costs as much as a new battery and seeing that yours is probably 4 years old, get a new battery, but have it registered as Alpine previously said. This updates the info. you see below and lets dozens of control units know what your battery is capable of. For better or worse, these cars are very dependent in a good and healthy battery and I am not sure that today's batteries are up to the job yet.

2008 535i Monaco Blue
PP, SP, SAT w/paddles, AS, CA, L7,
NAV, PDC, Heated F Seats, SIRIUS,
iPod+Aux, Bamboo Anthracite Trim,
Gray Dakota Leather, COBB tune