View Single Post
Old 09-12-2011, 06:22 AM
First Timer

Mein Auto: Me: M3; Her: 335i
What was the weather in {CITY} on {DATE} ?

http://www.wunderground.com/history/...q_statename=NA

Above is for Munich, November 1st, 2010. But clearly you can choose the location and date to suit your itinerary.

If there's no frozen precipitation, you have summer tires, and the temp is >= freezing, you'll most likely be able to travel, carefully, without significant problem. If it gets colder, it'll get dicier. If there's ANY frozen precip, then you're gonna be slip-sliding away, and not just a little. Dangerous and illegal.

Don't believe the drama queens with their stories of performance tires magically transforming from super glue to oiled Teflon simply due to cold, dry pavement. If you're a competent driver, there's little or no difference between performance summer tires and the skinny, no-traction-to-begin-with winter tires on dry pavement around freezing or higher. You won't have SUMMER levels of traction. But you'll still have the same crummy traction you'd have on a dry road using winter tires.

The issue is, if it's near freezing, then how do you know the road is really "dry"? Did fog/dew freeze on it? What if frozen precip falls while you're out? You're definitely taking a chance even if the weather / conditions are passable when you embark.
I just love how a 4 year old car/design is STILL the benchmark which other automakers aspire to reach. Still winning comparisons . Still very much in the conversation. Is the E9x M3 a legend? You bet your @ss it is.