View Single Post
Old 09-12-2011, 08:45 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdrake View Post
IT IS A HUGE MISCONCEPTION by most of the public that amber side reflectors are required in the USA. Vehicle requirements are actually made and enforced at the state level (in most cases).

I had heard several times that Texas requires the side reflectors but THEY DO NOT require side reflectors for passenger cars. Check your states requirements:

Texas Side Reflector:

"Inspection/Rejection Criteria

20.21 Reflectors (Side). Refer to Reference Section for lighting diagrams.

1. Required on all:

Buses 80 inches or more in overall width.

Trucks 80 inches or more in overall width.

Trailers and semitrailers 80 inches or more in overall width.

Trailers and semitrailers 30 feet or more in overall length."

I actually removed my amber ones today and put on some clear ones from ModBargains.com
You don't have a clue of what you are talking about. U.S. federal safety standards (FMVSS) always trump state regulations, and U.S. state vehicle codes usually follow federal motor vehicle safety standards. Even if the state vehicle code does not specifically cite the federal standard, the federal standard will prevail. FMVSS "108" (CFR 49) covers lamps, lighting and reflectors, and the side reflectors are required by federal statute, otherwise car makers wouldn't spend a penny putting them there. Go ahead and remove them; I doubt if many state law enforcement agencies would make an issue of this, or that any DOT/NHTSA black helicopters would circle over your house.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA