View Single Post
Old 09-14-2011, 08:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 540i M-Sport 6-Spd
Ok, just got the car scanned by a local German auto shop (using the GT1). But, get this, it's a toss up as to whether it is the pedal position sensor or the DME.

In the process of testing the sensor, when the only possible causes left were the DME or the sensor, the GT1 had us remove plug 4 from the DME and test the voltage across pins 9 and 14 with the sensor disconnected and the key in the run position (this was to rule out a faulty DME causing the sensor to fail the sweep test, which mine did). The specified range was 4.9 - 5.3 volts and the result was 5.7 volts. Although it doesn't look good for my wallet right now, the technician said that he wouldn't be 100% in saying that it was the DME because the voltage was close to the specification ("perhaps the calibration on the test meter could be off by that much" was the tech's point). He also said that he has only seen the voltage below spec in cases where the DME is faulty, and that a higher than spec voltage seemed strange to him.

Since the housing on my throttle pedal assembly was already cracked, I will be ordering the pedal assembly tomorrow. I figure since we aren't 100% between the two possibilities, I'll go ahead and replace the one that I needed to replace anyway. If that doesn't fix it, I guess I will be looking for a new DME.

Thats the update for now, I will post again when I know more. If anyone has any insight on this, it would be much appreciated.