View Single Post
Old 09-16-2011, 02:09 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW Dinan 530i/5
I would start by checking the fuses first, the fuses for the instrument cluster should be located in the front fuse panel inside and above the glove compartment.

Also, try the famous passenger side sun visor light test and see if anything changes...you may have a bad ignition switch.

Although, the dead battery suggests either a charging issue, or the battery itself isn't holding sufficient charge anymore. How old is the battery?

If you can't check the voltage by unlocking the cluster, try the old fashioned way...with a volt meter at the terminals.

At idle it should read 13.5 volts.

Above idle it should be charging at 14.3 volts

If it drops below 14.2 volts (above idle) it might be an indication that there's a problem with the alternator keeping a consistent charge (maybe a bad regulator)...also, check the belt for the alternator as well.

The battery should hold a 12.6 volt charge when the car is off, however, that may drop considerably while cranking the engine over if it's weak.
5-Speed Manual Transmission
Zeckhausen Modified CDV
Dinan Upgrades: High Flow Throttle Body, CAI, Stage 3 Software, and Free Flow Exhaust.

Horsepower: some is good, more is better, TOO MUCH is just right!
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." ~ Mario Andretti
"What’s behind you doesn’t matter." ~ Enzo Ferrari

Last edited by Vin M; 09-16-2011 at 02:32 AM.