View Single Post
Old 09-17-2011, 06:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '99 528i, M52TU w/stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw7833 View Post
Sorry to bring out the old topic. I plan to replace my seat outer cover. How to remove the last screw to get the old cover out without removing the seat back? Any idea?
Do you mean a metal torx screw, or the plastic pin clip that holds the cover at the hole circled in the photo you quoted?

If the plastic clip, here's what I do. The hole in the seat back that it fits into is hidden under the lower-left corner of the seat back cover, but that hole can be felt by hand, and if you wedge both hands (fingers) underneath the side cover at that spot and around that pin clip and squeeze-pull straight out and evenly with four fingers underneath and thumb outside, it will pop out. Install is easier, just position the pin over the hole and press in with thumb. It's harder to explain than actually doing it but it's key to apply force evenly and in a way that doesn't crack the flimsy cover plastic. I use no tools, just my fingers, but the trim tools that others have mentioned should also work, just that the leverage is different. When using my own fingers, it's easier for me to tell if I'm applying too much pressure or too unevenly, risking breakage.