View Single Post
Old 09-21-2011, 02:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebee
That idea should work! ...I understand what you say and will see if I can shorten the battery side of that flexible elbow, in the hopes that it prevents it from being pinched...
Quote:
Originally Posted by QSilver7 View Post
You can also trim off a piece of the vent kit's vent tube (about 1/8") where it Ls into the vent on the battery. this shortens the distance from the battery's vent hole to the side of the car...and allows the tube to amble over to the car's vent tube.

Yes...I think you see the light. Trim off just a little bit from the tip that connects directly to the battery's vent hole...and it should extend over to the car's vent tube without being pinched between the battery and the air vent/grill (in the battery compartment):

The pic below is my set-up in the 540iT...as you can see...my trimmed vent tube is not squished in the pic...I used a pair of scissors & cut off approx 1/8" after measuring twice (cut once). I laid the tube along the path over to the gray vent tube to see how much of the tip needed to be cut off to bring the extending section closer to the battery and to prevent it from being squished up against the vent/grid that is directly behind the elbow section of the extending vent tube.

versus yours (which is slightly pinched) in the pic below (and where you've nicely circled the area in white to highlight the location)

Just an FYI...this pic below (that you circled) is Jamie (Jamesdc4) from BimmerForums...that image is taken from his great battery replacement DIY on that forum. And I think that his vent tube isn't "pinched" in the image because the battery isn't really set in place yet. His cables aren't attached and the battery hasn't been pushed all the way back up into the corner yet:

(this pic belongs to Jamesdc4)
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg

Last edited by QSilver7; 09-21-2011 at 02:14 PM.