View Single Post
Old 09-25-2011, 11:27 PM
Sup3rman

Mein Auto: '11 E90 AW M3/ '11 AW X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emission View Post
Another thread was discussing performance chips for the X5 35d. Understandably, the chip is interchangeable with the 335d...

I'm hoping to install the $279 piggyback from Burger Motorsports:

http://www.burgertuning.com/BMW_JBD_...ance_chip.html

"Gain up to 60+ horsepower and up to 100+ torque to the wheels by simply adding the JB Diesel (JBD) with no other modifications. In addition to power and torque gains throttle response is dramatically improved making your juiced BMW much more fun to drive. Simple plug and play installation and does not hurt fuel economy during normal driving."

I had my '07 335i chipped with a "Juicebox" and never had any issues. Hoping to do the same with my X5!

Questions, comments, experiences?

- Mike
If you have a mod-friendly service advisor, go for it!

After looking back at all of the issues the N54 had with fuel pumps, I decided not to get one for my 335i. I seem to remember reading somewhere that BMW had figured out how to track the installation of these "tuner" chips with new software upgrades in the N55.. which keeps me from putting one on my wife's X5d. (I'm not sure factually where this stands - can anyone accurately verify? Can BMW actually track a tuner chip?)

The risk of being responsible for an engine because of a tuner chip is enough to deter me from doing so until it's backed by a warranty or BMW, though. I do realize that the juicebox was a hit with many, and I seem to remember mostly good feedback from those that used it..

I actually went looking at what the transmission could handle (to gauge how the transmission could handle the extra power), since the vehicle already has 425 lbs of torque.. but I couldn't find anything on what it was rated for. I'd be interested to see what it's actually rated for, and how that plays into BMW's "lifetime" transmission fluid, powertrain warranty, etc.

The car would definitely come to life a bit more with an increase like above It would also probably give my wife more opportunity to get into speeding trouble though

2007 335i Coupe - 6MT Alpine White/Saddle Brown ED 5/23/2007 (retired)

ED Trip Report W/ Pics (And Engagement Story/Pics)