View Single Post
Old 09-26-2011, 12:02 AM
Automotive Monomaniac

Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
My bias it this:

On a new car, stuff happens- if a car is modded and a defect totally unrelated tot he mod occurs, BMW will deny any driveline claim due to the mods.

I'd give it 10-20k to shake out.

I do not believe most owners can afford to be protected by Moss magnussen... Mike, with all due respect, your interpretation of 'voiding of warranty' and the practical aspects of how this will be enforced with BMW is not 'misinformation'. Operating a motor at higher outputs CAN adversely affect every other component in the driveline- rods, crank, transmission, etc. To think a 'chip' can only result in a 'blown turbo' is quiteMany owners are stuck with the choice to litigate with BMWNA over a $20k repair where the cost of the lawsuit will be over $50k. The arguments you cite may be correct, but you will not be able to have an arbiter decide if your position is correct until you've spent way more that the repair on discovery, legal fees, arbitration, etc, etc.

now, if you don;'t care and are willing to pay your own way, I strongly beleive that the best 'chip' is actually reprogramming the DME and not the piggy back stuff- remap it and be done with it.

I did it on my TT at 24k and couldn't have been happier.

A

PS No chip is 'undetectable'. You can clear the the 'codes' but the DME retains operating range data- if an engine blows up, BMW may send the DME back east to do a forensic exam....they look for this stuff. Burger and others sure do dance around about this, but you will find they only speak of 'clearing codes' and not the op data.

PPS Bottom line? Only do it if you are willing to pay to play...on the unlikely case you DO have an issue. Unlikely but possible.
What you say is true, no arguments there.

However, I've chipped several of my cars (VW 1.8T Passat, BMW 335i, etc...) and never had even a bit of an issue. I did my homework to ensure nothing "out of the ordinary" would happen. Plus, I didn't screw with anything (crank up boost, etc...).

Both of my BMW service advisers are running Burger Motorsports tunes on their 335d, without worry. When they tell me they have never seen an issue (other than a CEL), I believe them. I'm not in a position to gamble with my warranty, but I also realize that BMW (and every other manufacturer) is very conservative with their factory tune. For example, BMW just introduced its own "power package" for the 335i... we call that an expensive Juicebox.

I see tons of complaints on Autoblog, and I rarely hear about issues with chips and tunes... never from people who leave their tunes stock.

- Mike

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!