View Single Post
Old 09-26-2011, 09:50 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Error codes are only part of the issue- these can be reset, but the murkier issue is can BMW detect operational parameters and surmise that the car was modified?

Also, you don't just 'pop in' a DME (actually a DDE) like it is a spark plug: It must be programmed. And even if somehow you got it programmed, the operating history would be blank and BMW may deny.

Two truths:

1. BMW holds the gold, if they want to deny you are stuck in an expensive challenge.

2. There is a low likelihood of failure, and there is much you can do to minimize risk (risk of a failure due to the programming, risk of detection wherein an unrelated failure is blamed on the flash)... but not totally eliminate it. Just recognize that at the end of the day there is residual risk.

I flashed my 996TT with 24k miles, still under warranty, and have enjoyed it ever since. (and some other goodies too) Given the use of the X5d will be horse saddles and groceries, I'd likely not bother with it...
+1

What he says is true.

I've found one of the most important deciding factors on whether or not to chip is your relationship with the dealer. I am on very good terms with my service team, and I have discussed the pros/cons, so I have very little concern.

Oh, yes you can clear codes... but that is fraud. I'm too damn honest to cheat about that.

You flashed a 996TT? What kind of psycho are you???

- Mike

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'15 Volkswagen Golf TDI 6MT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as Editor-in-Chief for Autoweb!