View Single Post
Old 10-03-2011, 09:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 540i 6-spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricas45 View Post
Wow I didn't realize their plate was aluminum like that! I was thinking it was just a modified OEM plate. What are all the new ports you made? For sensors? Also what is that electric sensor in the center? A MAP sensor? Also the catch can looks great. Do you still need it or just adding it now as belt and suspenders?
The stock end plate has two vacuum lines/ports, plus now there is a vacuum line to the blow off valve. In Dinan kit the three lines all connect to one nipple on the back plate using plastic adapters, which I thought was a bit messy. So I added two more connections in stock locations on the plate dedicated to the two stock lines and will use the other connection for the BOV. The sensor in the middle is the boost pressure sensor.

I drove about 60 miles to the office and back on Friday with the catch can and when I removed it later that evening, the inlet hose had was just a bit oily, while the outlet was completely dry. It seems that at least at this point oil out of the crank case is not a major issue, but the catch can will help almost completely eliminate any oily fumes from the intake, which I think is a good thing, so I decided to put it in.

EDIT: just remembered... when I removed the aluminum PCV pipe under the manifold, there was some oil in it. So the catch can will certainly help.

Last edited by Flug540; 10-03-2011 at 09:50 AM.