View Single Post
Old 10-08-2011, 01:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 01' 540 M-Sport cdn, F355
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4trains View Post
To further fan the flames:

I don't plan to go 15,000 miles between oil changes. Likely will do 5,000 between changes, which is less than I have typically done on my other vehicles (every 10,000 miles with M1 5w-30). If I'm not trying to get "long life" from my oil, how badly does my oil need to meet the LL-01 spec?
That is part of the debate. No one really knows. Posts have been made that the LL-01 spec covers more than just the oils ability to stay in grade for 15,000 miles. It would appear that many people have gotten away with using non LL-01 oils...so the choice is really yours. I have occasionally strayed from using non LL-01 oils on rare occasions. In fact I have Mobil 1 5w-30 in my car now...but I never go more than 7500 miles.
As much of this thread shows, it is much debated, and "up to what you are comfortable with". BMW is clear on their recommendations...
Factory M-Sport package with factory installed M-tech bumpers, factory Bluetooth, factory M-Audio 10" dual voice coil subs, Homelink, M5 rear stabilizer bar, Bilstein B14 PSS coil overs, Stop Tech ss brake lines, Akebono Euro Ceramic brake pads, oem Brembo and Zimmerman rotors, Dinan Stage 1 software, Strong Strut front upper stress bar.