View Single Post
Old 10-08-2011, 12:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 01' 540 M-Sport cdn, F355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie528 View Post
Since we have many highly knowledgable oil gurus here, I thought I'll ask 2 questions ~

1. I have seen many photos posted here of Mobil1 5-30W. Many people mentioned the Mobil1 5-30W also.... BUT it's not LL-01 approved. There's no LL-01 mentioned on it. The Mobil1 0-40W is LL-01 approved, however. So, why we have so many guys who encourage the "approved" BMW oil, say Mobil1 5-30W is a good choice? (It is however, Corvette recommended, so I guess good enough for BMW too, but not LL-01 mentioned)

2. I have put 0-20W (full synthetic) recently. I know it's not the right voscosity recommended. But I needed to change oil quickly, becuase the old oil was getting dirty. I intend to run this oil for only 2K miles or so. I figured this will also flush the engine, and will go back to 5-30W. Is that bad for the car? (by the way I'm getting better gas milage with it. Getting 23.5 MPG, before 21-22 mpg) I intend to go back to 5-30W, but now not sure if I should use the Mobil1 5-30W (full synthetic, since it's not LL-01 approved). Castrol 5-30W European is hard to find.

What are you views on the metioned concerns?!!! Thanks in advance!
Why do you think 0w-20 will "flush the engine"?....other than a lower viscosity, what properties does it have that would give it the ability to "flush" your engine?

BTW the Castrol product many of us use (me included, most times) is Castrol Syntec 0w-30 European Formula. With rare exception, it can only be found at AutoZone stores.

As far as a general answer to your question...I think we will never know, unless we got into the head of a BMW engineer to understand the reasons for the LL-01 specification, and if we knew the exact technical requirements of the LL-01 spec. Bluebee will tell you it is all about "marketing" and some conspiracy between oil manufacturers and BMW to corner the oil market.

If you are uncomfortable or question your actions, the simplest, and safest answer is to simply follow the manufacturer's recommendations:http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ngineOils.aspx

If you feel you are smarter than BMW, you may wish to study up a little on oil here:
http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/faq...=haas_articles

Best wishes
Factory M-Sport package with factory installed M-tech bumpers, factory Bluetooth, factory M-Audio 10" dual voice coil subs, Homelink, M5 rear stabilizer bar, Bilstein B14 PSS coil overs, Stop Tech ss brake lines, Akebono Euro Ceramic brake pads, oem Brembo and Zimmerman rotors, Dinan Stage 1 software, Strong Strut front upper stress bar.

Last edited by 540 M-Sport; 10-08-2011 at 12:18 PM.