View Single Post
Old 10-09-2011, 11:15 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via Yahoo to Newbie528
Mein Auto: Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540 M-Sport View Post
Why do you think 0w-20 will "flush the engine"?....other than a lower viscosity, what properties does it have that would give it the ability to "flush" your engine?
Many have asked this question, how do I intend to flush my engine? I may have used a wrong "word/term". But what my intention was that I'll run THIS (0-20W full synthetic Mobil1) oil for about 2K miles only. So, I won't allow it to get too dirty or break down...and will change it with quick 2K miles on it. I theory is, with 2 oil (and 2 filter) changes in a short period (2K miles), I'll be able to clean up the inside of the engine. I usually go 5K-7K miles. But this time I wanted to do two quick oil/filter changes. Maybe I'm not able to explain well, but I hope you understand my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
I know.

It's all about marketing dollars.
Secondly, I'd like to say, I'm not sure why everyone's making such a big deal about CASTROL name on the oil filler cap, and BMW's recomendation. This is Normal guys. Have you ever looked at the oil filler cap on a Corvette? It's the same as BMW! It says, Mobil1 5-30W. Yeah, and it must meet GM Corvette specs....just like we have BMW LL-01 specs. How ironic, I see people on the BMW forum using the SAME oil (Mobil1 5-30W, which is not LL-01 tagged). Generally I try to stay with a quality 5-30 Synthetic, sometimes Penzoil Platinum (5-30W). Bottom line, every maker has some kind of oil the recommend - BMW, Corvette, and I'm sure Mercedes does too.... The world of Marketing we live in.