View Single Post
Old 10-11-2011, 06:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Audi A4
The BMW hitch kit seems to be in short supply. The BMWUSA website directed me to BMW of Fairfax to buy in the Washington DC area. The installed price on the website is $1184, but when I called yesterday the parts manager says that there are "none available in the US or in Germany."

I also called Tischer BMW, they have the kit listed on their website for $625 uninstalled, but I have not been able to get an installed price quote or feedback on whether they actually have this in stock.

VOB BMW (where I bought the car) quoted MSRP of $700 for the kit plus up to $2000 for installation. The parts manager said this was an estimate based on the standard labor rates and how long the installation instructions in the system said it would take to install. He agree to check with the service manager to see if they could match the Fairfax online quote. I played the "loyal customer" card since we have bought/leased 5 cars from VOB in the past 5 years.

Given the issues with getting a hitch installed, I'm considering going with the BMW roof racks for our bicycles, but I prefer having them on the bumper not on the roof. The last time I had roof racks I drove my 325i into the garage with the bikes still on top!! NOT a pretty outcome for the bikes or the car.

John