View Single Post
Old 10-14-2011, 03:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 530i 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshort77 View Post
OK, guys, I really do appreciate all the help and info, etc. But, the first post lists a 40gb HD to do the inpa/ediabas, with EasyDIS44. That looked like an OK option to me. To go the extra distance and do the Progman thing, it calls for an additional 100gb. So, now, RDL is talking 5gb for DIS V57, which may make sense, since the coding/programming stuff isnt there in that version. But the 22gb for Progman is a long way off of what I was expecting.

Am I missing something here?

-- and the plot sickens....

Really, I am having fun, honest...
It is 4 GB for EasyDIS V44 giving you diagnostics, coding and programming. EDIABAS & INPA combined are 0.25 GB. VMware Player another 0.25 GB. So call it 5 GB total.

I think the 40 GB was a result of original DIS versions being installed on computers with 40 GB drives. So the hackers set up virtual machines with 40 GB pre-allocated to avoid any size problems. But I've found that EasyDIS / Player is quite happy with dynamic sizing which works out to 4 GB for EasyDIS.

I've said in earlier posts that Progman is not worth the time & effort for E39s, at least in my opinion. And it does take a lot more space.
V57 maybe; it is a simple upgrade to do once V44 is running, but I haven't seen the benefit, at least so far. And you lose coding and programming functionality unless you keep a separate copy of V44.

Your choice of course, but it's 5 GB not 100 +. And that gives you the same capability the dealers had until the mid to late 2000's.

Hope this clarifies the matter of drive space you need.

Regards
RDL