View Single Post
Old 10-15-2011, 07:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 pre-owned 550i
In context of determining whether to buy extended maintenance coverage ($2295) for my 2006 550i I asked my BMW dealer for cost to replace brake pads and compared to recommended independent. Given what seems to be high dealer maintenance costs (see below) it could make sense to buy extended maintenance contract (since I have not done my own car maintenance for many years).

First, I was surprised that BMW dealer will only replace rotors and pads (for all my other cars I have only had to replace pads). Dealer "explained" to get excellent stopping BMW uses "soft" rotors and pads so rotors also wear down quickly. Anyhow, cost was $1930 front and $1875 rear to have work done at dealer. Dealer also gave cost for oil change at $215; spark plugs $720; cabin air filter $192; engine air filter $162.

Independent charge for rotors and pads replacement quote was $860 for fronts and "about the same" for rears. He also said sometimes they are able to just replace pads at cost of $330 front and $330 rear (my notes not really clear so it could have been $330 total to replace both front and rear pads only).