View Single Post
Old 10-27-2011, 04:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i
finally scored one of these spare tires from a used parts shop that specializes in BMW's. they advertised it on craigslist so I got it for $125 with a E46 jack and crank. Managed to fit the jack and crank in the compartment under the trunk floor along with a small compressor, jumper cables and tire patch kit.

but the spare takes up a ton of space in the trunk. i can see keeping it in there for daily driving, but any long trips with 4 people and luggage will be a serious problem, and that is when I'd want a spare the most.

what strapping or storage solutions have people come up with? did anything ever come of the idea of strapping it to the trunk roof? the sheet metal up there seems pretty sturdy but it's still just sheet metal and the spare is not exactly light.

also, any recommendations on a cover to protect the spare from scuffing and also getting other stuff dirty? something like this one would be good in terms of looks and price but it may be kinda large since it says it fits 26.5" tires and up and i measure the spare at about 25" diameter.