View Single Post
Old 10-28-2011, 11:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 Diesel xDrive35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlon View Post
Hi there.

I actually didn't know much about diesels when I leased my 35d. It was my first. My one test drive was in less than ideal circumstances, including having a idling 18-wheeler at the dealer so I attributed the idle sound to that and not the car. I was also backed into a corner on the end (and extension) of my previous lease and had to jump quickly. The diesels (and diesel fuel) were cheaper at the time, got better mileage, and had a tax credit, so I gave it a go. But I immediately knew the car wasn't for me. . . . But the engine just never sounded right to me. I tend to be somewhat in tune with the engine. Years of driving a manual, I guess. . . . I was able to make a trip that used to require one-two stops with no stops. Amazing. . . .
All this said, If I hadn't got the new 35i for the same monthly payment, I wouldn't have made the swap.
Thanks for the detailed response. Folks debating whether to go for a diesel or a petrol will surely find your posts useful . . . at the very least they will know what to look out for when they go for their diesel test drive!

I know the feeling about being "in tune with the engine" . . . I learned how to drive on a stick shift with no AC. Very quickly I got used to shifting gears based on the "engine sound"! It took me a few days to get used to a car with an AC . . . initially my shifts were like a beginner shifting gears!