View Single Post
Old 10-31-2011, 12:53 PM
BMW ****ie

Mein Auto: 530i Sport Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudman View Post
When I replaced my door speakers, I simply replaced the old woofer with the new component woofer, using the same wiring from the stock amp & x-over. I did the same with the tweeter and I left the original mid in place. I did not use the speaker supplied x-over. I found that I needed to actually turn down my high end a bit to get the proper balance. Since I added a subwoofer, I turn down the bass on the head unit to reduce distortion in the door speakers but have it bumped higher on the subwoofer.
Thanks for the intel.

We have a very similar setup. I ponder if the higher impedance of the new tweeters played a role in having to turn down the treble a little OR is it simply because of the higher quality of the speaker which reproduces EVERY high available.

The system sounds much better and far richer than it did. The subwoofer is a MUST. The sub alone was 80% of the improvement.

I'll look into a low cost/power two channel amp (150 - 200 watts) and simply tap into line level output to drive the BA woofers then. It annoys me to have them so limited by the OEM crossover. The frequency range for those start lower than what they are being fed. It's like I purchased a 400 horse power car and put a governor on it.

Granted it could make the overall sound unbalanced but there is only one way to find out.