View Single Post
Old 11-03-2011, 02:28 PM

Mein Auto: 04 X3 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by projects View Post
there're 3 ways to check if vanos got problem.

1.use BMW DIS, it can activate vanos, but result might not right, because you have no enough oil pressure as car can only crank but no start.

2.check compression, if the compression check gave u stupid number, it may. if u use BMW DIS disable vanos, and check the compression, the numbers are same, the for sure timing got problem.

3.find a banjo fitting to vanos oil port, blow high pressure air to vanos, while use battery power to activate intake and/or exhaust solenoid. it'll free the vanos anyway. if it works, you can hear the cam shift sound(open the valve cover can let u easy tell if it works). related video u can find on youtube by searching bmw double vanos. banjo fitting u can buy from ebay or anywhile u can find, I just made one from old broken hoses.

For clean up head, u can either open the valve cover(need change valve cover gasket which is cheap and easy to do), clean it phsycally; Or use any engine flush product on the market after u can start engine and right before change oil.

Good luck.
Projects, I did the compression check and confirmed the weird results: all were between 60 and 120 psi, which I assume is way to low. Is this the fitting I need to unhook then blow air into (pic below)? So I need to rig up a banjo fitting to an air hose to get some good air pressure in there, correct?

Thanks!

Last edited by wbrproductions; 11-13-2011 at 12:38 PM.