View Single Post
Old 11-05-2011, 11:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 530i
I replaced the adjusters on 2001 530i Hella HID headlights today using the procedure in this thread. The procedure worked well. Here are a few observations.

I used the aluminum adjusters from EAC which are threaded. I didn't need to cut threads in the adjuster with the screw.

Mark at EAC suggested baking the headlights at 210 F for 7 minutes instead of 5 minutes at 200 F. After I removed lens, I baked the headlights for two more minutes to ease the removal of the bezel.

I found that if I removed the HID bulb so I could see the auto-leveling motor ball and socket. This made it easier to reinstall the auto-leveling motor ball in the assembly socket. The ball came out of the socket to the right on both headlights.

I removed the socket from the reflector assembly to get the old plastic adjuster remnants out. This allowed me to use a small screwdriver to depress the retaining tab from the back of the socket so the screwdriver did not interfere with the ball removal.

I didn't realize how poorly the lights were working. This repair restored their performance.
OSRAM CBI

BMWCCA Member #337964