View Single Post
Old 11-11-2011, 06:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z3 3.0i Roadster, K1300S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Ben View Post
You're right the manual indicates not to switch to synthetic within the first 6K. I just made an appointment for the bike to go back to the dealership this weekend for an oil change and checkup, guess it won't hurt to follow the factory recommendation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Ben View Post
Also did some more reading on the R1200R board, seems all over the place as far as the opinion for dino vs. synthetic is concerned. Think I will keep the factory setting until the 6K and switch to amsoil or Mobil synthetic.
Yes, internet "wisdom" can be all over the place. One option to consider is to continue to run dino until 12,000 miles (and changing the oil at 3,000 mile intervals, like you are doing now) before switching to synthetic. It certainly won't hurt anything, and may help ensure that your engine is completely broken in. The principal advantages of synthetic are longer oil change intervals and additional protection in severe service conditions (e.g., hot weather). If these engines are broken in properly, and then maintained correctly, they will last for a LONG time (100k+ miles).
"Beemer" is for my BMW motorcycles - '13 K1300S, '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '75 R90S (gone, but not forgotten).