View Single Post
Old 11-13-2011, 09:48 AM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
Cost Reduced Interior

BMW had to make compromises to meet the price point. It shows in the interior. The places you come into contact with the most, like the steering wheel are still 1st quality. But secondary areas are cheap plastic.

Debbie said it reminded her of our Daughter's e36/5 318ti. If you've been in one you know what me mean. The glove box is one spot that stood out. Cheap plastic with a cheap feeling mechanism. The box on our MINI is nicer.

The Motor
Before the drive, my biggest concern was the new N13 motor. As discussed in another thread, this new petrol motor uses bottom end from a MINI Cooper S modified for longitudinal mounting. The top end has the latest tech and the new TwinPower turbo.

The turbo charger is at the top of the motor. It is about the first thing you notice when you pop the hood. That had to be deliberate. It is the only way to tell the engine is turbocharged. No lag.

Both power and torque are flat-rated. The torque curve is a flat line across most of the RPM range. In the 116i, torque is 220Nm from 1350 to 4300RPM! On the 118i it is 250Nm from 1500 to 4500. 116i is 136HP from 4400RPM to red line. The 118i is 170HP starting at 4800 and sticks there. Makes it hard to shift at the wrong time but flat-rating means we aren't seeing what the motor could really do. Big opportunity for 3rd party software mods.

The diesels are powered by BMWs existing N47.

Last edited by Andrew*Debbie; 11-13-2011 at 11:19 AM.