Thread: Loud Diff Clunk
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2011, 04:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStarMiG View Post
yea here in scottsdale there a chappman bmw thats where i buy my oil and all but im afraid to take it to get it inspected and have it come out with something else that didnt fix the problem and cost me an eye. i mean my diff feels good the car is really fast doesnt feel like something is wrong with it other than that loud bang i guess the best thing i could do is take it and see what they come up with

My diff feels fine as well. There's no loose feeling when I turn corners. There's no wandering on the highway. The car is as fast as can be. It can spin the tires up and into 3rd gear. But when I give it a go, like you said it thumps so loud that it feels like the rear end will shear off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004M3JMF View Post
Yes, mine does the same thing. My diff is leaking a little too. Again, if I lift a little when shifting it doesn't do it. I would also like to know what the cause of this is. Maybe a mileage thing. I have 70k. Does anyone have the same issue with low mileage leads than 20k?
I have 97k on mine now. I don't know the previous owners driving habits either. Are all these cars from southern states where it is hot year round? I did notice that in Arizona, it was practically impossible to to make the rear tires spin on the hot pavement. Maybe the extra grip causes (premature?) wear on the diff and drivetrain?