View Single Post
Old 11-16-2011, 09:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 540i 6-spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricas45 View Post
Any luck with the vacuum leak check I would be interested to see where you are loosing pressure.

Did you do leak test directly into the throttle body to eliminate the SC system as culprit? Did you tune the BOV? Could that be bypassing early?

Dang torx bolts snapped off on me when I went to remove front plate last night I had to drill and extract 2 of them to get the cover off. And one the torx bit snapped off in the bolt! Not happy about that will be replacing all with a more standard bolt tonight.

Working on autos is always like opening up a can of worms.
I haven't got a chance to smoke test it yet. Before I tested from the SC inlet. BOV is a possibility, but I don't believe it has a big leak at least when the engine is off and I'm not sure how to properly tune it. It does leak a little bit past the adjustment screw though, but I don't think it's major. What I really want to do is try my "new" Bosch BOV, but I have to find reducers that will work with it. It has both sides at 25mm diameter (roughly 1"), one side needs to connect with a straight reducer to 45mm pipe (1 3/4") and the other needs a 90 degree elbow reducer to 39mm (1 1/2"). The elbow should not be a problem, but the straight ones I see online are all 3" to 4" long and what it needs is about 7". I want to avoid any additional adapters, so not sure yet what/where to find this thing. Any idea?

Those torx bolts are something else indeed. I had fun time trying to tighten the one in the bottom left corner. I also thought of replacing mine with a hex head, but I if I remember correctly, it gave me an impression that the space is too tight for it.

I know what you mean by a can of worms That's a big part of why it took me months to get it back together and I'm still at it It now makes sense why your mechanic would call you and tell you there is a number of other things wrong with your car besides the one you actually brought it in to have fixed. They weren't kidding!