View Single Post
Old 11-17-2011, 10:03 AM
Humble E34 lover

Mein Auto: 1992 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yako2922 View Post
Well thats the problem... I dont know what label i have, if red or silver, if silver the bypass wont work? I was thinking more like i have to reprogram my transponder, but i have the original key nowThe car has no spark i dont know about fuel, i want to fix one problen at the time, other thing a found is the low beam head lights wont work so i dont know if thats related, thank you very much guys for your help and fast response
As I said earlier, if your car turns over when cranking, then the EWS is successfully bypassed. Since you have no spark, that's what I would look at first. The crankshaft position sensor (CPS) is the most common fail item that causes this problem. Locate the CPS right above the toothed wheel on the crankshaft pulley. Inspect the wire from the sensor to the connector. Sometimes they get worn if they are rubbing against any of the rotating assembly. If the wire looks fine, then disconnect the sensor. Use an ohm meter to check the resistance at terminals 1 and 2 on the CPS side of the connector. The Bentley manual had a misprint on the proper specifications. It should read 540 ohms +/- 10%, not 1280 as listed in the manual.

If that checks out ok, then I would look at the main (DME) relay. The best thing to do here is to get a new relay (about $45 from the dealer). Even if that is not the culprit, it is a good idea to have a spare in the car along with a spare fuel pump relay. Anyway, if you rule everything else out, then it is likely a failed DME. Since you have bypassed the DME, you should be able to put in a red label DME from any pre-95 M50 engined car (either E34 or E36).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfs356 View Post
Wow, a wealth of knowledge in the original post. I definitely learned a few things, thanks Steve!
Thanks. I learned sooo much in the process of fixing that no-start situation. I hope others benefit as well.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
It's Deja Poo - as in, I've heard this **** before.
Steve

Calypso Red 1992 525i with 200K miles

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold